Independent software developer SchwanSongs Software has announced the release and immediate availability of “Lyttony” 1.0, a rather novel opening-sentence-generator for the iPhone/iPad. It can create millions of original and thought-provoking story-openers, useful for both teachers and students in creative writing classes, authors or writing clubs needing new inspiration, or just quick ideas for daily writing practice.
Lyttony does not require the user to choose from confusing topic lists or to play 20-questions first. The user is immediately provided ready-to-use opening lines, with no restrictions on their use. They can copy them as-is into their next best-seller, or edit them to their liking.
Lyttony can send a new line every day, and create customized stories with the user’s name and favorite color included in the text.
Lyttony is also integrated into the Messages app, so the user can create stories or access your bookmarks and send them from within the Messages app without leaving the conversation.
There are two extra-purchase features. Lyttony can read the text aloud in a user-chosen computerized voice. Lyttony can also be synchronized with “Global StoryTime”, so users can receive the same line, at the same time, as everyone else in the world.
* Personalized – The user can add their name, pet, favorite color, etc. and Lyttony will integrate these into its stories.
* Customized – The Preferences/Settings page lets them choose a favorite color for the story text.
* Bookmark & Rewind – Each opener has its own unique 16-character “Story-Code” which, if typed in, can instantly re-display that exact opener again, on anyone’s “Lyttony” app. The user can display the list of bookmarks, and choose a prior “bookmarked” opener to re-display. This is good for bookmarking/saving and revisiting prior funny ones, or sending the code to other users so they can jump to it it too.
* Daily Dose – Lyttony can send a daily idea without even running the app. After turning on “Daily Notifications”, the user can choose an hour of the day to have it delivered, and every day they will get a new story idea. They can read it in place in the notification center, or click it to have it displayed in the “Lyttony” app.
* Messages App – On the iPad and iPhone, Lyttony also shows up as a Messages app extension, so the user can create and send stories to friends without leaving the Messages app. It even remembers and displays their bookmarked stories and works with GlobalSync mode.
* Global-Sync – With this option turned on, every Lyttony user in the world can get the same story at the same time, no matter where they live. So if two users in different countries both choose “every hour”, then their Lyttony apps will dish out identical stories together every hour. This is an extra-purchase feature.
* Read Aloud – Lyttony can either automatically or manually speak the stories out loud in any of the installed (macOS or iOS) text-to-speech voices. This is an extra-purchase feature.
* Share – Users can send their favorite openers to friends via e-mail/Facebook/chat/photos, or copy/paste them directly into their writing project.
* Shake it up – Shaking the iPad or iPhone will automatically generate a new opener.
The name “Lyttony” comes obliquely from Edward Bulwer-Lytton, a Victorian-era British novelist/playwright, who penned the infamous opening line, “It was a dark and stormy night…” and who created the quote “The pen is mightier than the sword!”